Watermelon`s

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watermelon`s

Hi, Has anyone ever grown Watermelons before and got any tips....? Have tried to grow melons for the past 2 years with no success... 1st time with Watermelons, thought they may a bit easier..??

...For 3 years running I've attempted watermelons outisde (sugar baby and black mountain, i think).

The plants developed well but the fruits would rot and drop off while still small.
    I thought this was due to cold, damp weather. But it may be that the female flowers were not getting pollinated.

I don't know if this is a typical problem with watermelons in the UK, but if it is:
    My tip is to pollinate your melons by hand, and not leave it to the insects.

(that's what I'll be doing for the first time this year.)
    Last edited by timethatthetaleweretold; 27-02-2011, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that... do you have to pinch out at all or just let them do there own thing..??

Comment

My record of (non) success with melons suggests that i shouldn't be giving you any more advice!

Just the hand-pollination thing is my tip.
        As for anything else i'm just experimenting and haven't got a single fruit yet!

Comment

No success with melons for 2yrs for me and 3 for you..!!!! Don`t think the commercial growers have too much to worry about... Good Luck to you for this year..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X